“It takes a deep commitment to change and an even deeper commitment to grow.” – Ralph Ellison, Novelist (1914-1994)
To get the right answers for yourself when beginning your surrender, you must be willing to start this experience with:
- A willingness to learn and experience.
- An open mind.
- Complete honesty. It is possible – not at all probable – that we may fool somebody else. But we MUST be honest with ourselves, and it is a good time to start being honest with someone who has experience living the recovered life you seek as a result of a spiritual awakening.
- Do you or have you ever required a drink or outside source of relief and fulfillment in the morning? (outside referring to outside of yourself, your desires, and internal Direction)
- If so, what happens when you do not get this relief?
- Are you uncomfortable when you are alone?
- If so, what thoughts and feelings come up? What do you then do about the pain and discomfort?
- Have goals and responsibilities been neglected due to losing time from drinking, worrying, feelings of defeat, or the like?
- Are there reasons outside of your power that are responsible for goals not being met or responsibilities going neglected?
- Has your drinking, addictions, or emotional and mental suffering effected your loved ones?
- Is this a guilt, responsibility, or shame you carry?
- Is there a definite time daily/regularly that you crave relief or feel particularly uncomfortable?
- Is there a specific situation or person that evokes cravings or requires you to have outside help to feel comfortable and confident?
- Do you get the inner shakes (restless, irritable, and discontent) unless you get a drink or another outside source of fulfillment to ease your discomfort? (consider an outside source of fulfillment to be a meeting, therapy appointment, prescription, a drink, another person’s opinion or direction – anything outside of divine love, truth, and Direction from within)
- What situations do you find yourself in when the inner shakes are most uncomfortable? (Dating, job interviews, when rent is due, when angry, when lonely…)
- Has drinking, addictions, or emotional and mental suffering changed your emotions such as becoming more irritable, impulsive, depressed or anxious feelings increasing?
- Consider the most personally disappointing effects these emotional changes have had in your life.
- Has drinking, drugs and addictions, or emotional and mental suffering caused you to be careless of your family’s welfare?
- Do you carry guilt, shame, and responsibility for the effects of this carelessness?
- Have you harmed or neglected loved ones while suffering with and in your afflictions?
- Do your afflictions cause you bodily complaints or have negative physical effects on your health?
- How many ways have you had to treat the symptoms of these physical effects? (consider medication for hangovers, sleep aids due to insomnia, therapy bills due to emotional suffering)
- Do you find yourself restless and left to your own devices without instruction like a job or school to revolve your time around?
- Do you have difficulty sleeping?
- If so, what feelings, thoughts, or circumstances keep you awake?
- Answer for yourself if you have experienced decreased initiative, less self-control, decreased ambition, lost perseverance with achieving a goal, feelings of inadequacy, sexual potency affected, and more.
- Are these changes due to circumstances beyond your control?
- Have you shown noticeable dislikes and hatred towards people, things, and institutions as your suffering grows?
- Do you notice yourself in environments inferior to your morals and standards?
- If you have answered yes to any of the above questions, answer for yourself what methods of solving your problems have you tried?
- How have these solutions been working for you?
If you have answered these questions and experience any of the following symptoms; sweating, accelerated heart rate, shortness of breathe, anger, and anything that does not feel good – this is great! The God within you is getting your attention letting you know that the freedom from this suffering brought to your attention can be gifted to you too – no matter what! Take deep breaths in through your nose and out through your mouth, close your eyes, and ask for help. It does not matter who you ask or what you believe or do not believe – just ask for help.
Get on your knees and ask for help. You do not bend down to pray to God in the religious sense many are uncomfortable with – we bend our knees initially to take an action towards bending our rigid minds to accepting help outside of our synthetic knowledge. It is a must for most of us who have drifted far away from spiritual reliance.
Do not forget to listen and follow intuitive direction that will guide you to your solution for your spirit. If you are open minded and willing you will be amazed before you are halfway through. You are not alone!
Virtual workshops and seminars are free and available for you to join our #globalrecovery movement. Come as you are – all races, genders, religions, political affiliations, and whatever else makes you feel different are welcome, embraced and encouraged here. The only requirement for membership is a desire to heal your suffering.